Thursday, August 5, 2010

Miller Chill and Gretzky's Rooftop 'Oasis'


On a beautiful summer long weekend in Toronto when you're stuck in the city, a simple idea of something to do often comes to mind. Jays game and drinking beer. And like most Blue Jays fans, you have to go for beers after the game too. It`s an unwritten rule. Seeing as we were already dressed in our sporty attire, and were doused in over-priced domestic beer from the Sky Dome aka rogers centre, we decided to check out Gretzky`s Rooftop Bar-lounge `Oasis`. Although it`s not the kind of place i usually go and it seems mainly filled with tourists and 905ers, I have to admit I kind of like it. It has a cottage country bar feel - a little bit dirty and a little bit loud, but relaxing all the same.

I want to clarify before I continue my critique that I am not writing about Gretzky`s sports bar-restaurant (downstairs). I consider Gretzky`s to be one of the worst bars in downtown Toronto for most categories (drink, food, service). However, I am writing about the `Oasis` Rooftop bar, which I believe deserves a clean slate.

Everyone drinking at `Oasis` seems to be holding mini-coronas, or `Coronita`s` as they officially call them. It`s a funny sight. Mini-me style bottles everywhere. I wanted a beer in a proper size bottle, so I went out on a limb and ordered a.........`Miller Chill`. I am not a fan of any of these types of beer that seem to be popping up by the week e.g. Bud lite lime, Grolsch Lemon, Moosehead light lime to name but a few. However, if I am going to give honest and unbiased critiques on beers, I have to try them. So, I did. Fuck me, Miller Chill is definitely the closest beer to resemble water I have ever tried. I truly believe a yellow-coloured soda water with a lime would have been just as satisfying.

Overall -
0.5/5 Enough is enough. I do want to see more beer competitors to Corona in the ever-growing battle of being `the summer patio beer`. However, Miller Chill is not the route I want it to go. I gave a half star, as it was served very cold on a hot day. Beer fridge at Gretzky`s, fine work!

SlĂ inte

No comments:

Post a Comment