Sunday, August 14, 2011

Spearhead - Hawaiian-style Pale Ale

Spearhead - Hawaiian pale ale 
6.5%abv
Toronto, Ontario

Picture sipping a mouthful of Sam Adams Boston Lager, but with a punch in the face of pineapple.  Spearhead is a surprisingly really good Toronto-brewed pale ale that only started brewing in 2011 for us lucky drinking people.  It is made at Cool beer's brewery in Etobicoke.  I first heard of Spearhead's pale ale concept through word of mouth, and the Hawaiian pineapple thing sounded a little ich dont think so.  However, I'm so pleasantly surprised.  It has the girth at 6.5%abv, the body and the dimensions that are all expected in any good pale.  I like the bit of fruitiness that hits the pallet like a bomb.  The tropical fruits suit this style of beer down to the ground.  On another note, I don't like the glass.  It looks like a pina colada glass, not a beer glass, and feels very thin when drinking from it.  They say stems are best for drinking beer, but I 100% disagree.  A pint should be enjoyed as a pint in a pint glass, period.


Overall, I highly recommend trying this beer. My first sample was at this year's Beer Festival last Sunday, where I spoke to Julian representing the brand, and a few days later I came across it on tap at 'The Dizzy' on Roncy.  I'm sure it's popping up even more around town as we speak.

Well Done Spearhead.

Slainte or Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment