Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Hood - Roncesvalles



Alright. So it's been about a year and a half since I have been living out west here on Roncesvalles Ave. I have explored my new hood from top to bottom, and have decided to show my gratitude to my street by compiling a list of the best of Roncy. Forget Now magazine, or DineT.O. This is unfiltered, unbiased opinion.

So, here we go....

The Best of Roncesvalles.....

Best Beers - The Local

The Local has a great selection of Ontario brews to choose from. There is always a few beers from one of my favourite Ontario breweries, Great Lakes Brewery. Usually a seasonal, and a year-long standard. They also carry Wellington, and Stratford. However if Ontario crafts aren't your thing, Guinness is also on tap. All in all a great place for beer choice. Definitely recommended.

Best Value - Inter Steer

Inter Steer is the kind of place you want to tell everyone about it, but then you also kind of want to keep it to yourself. My newest local watering hole is a unique spot with its own style. It carries a Polish feel, but is still very friendly and welcome to everyone looking for food and drink. You will usually spot me sitting at the bar with my Roncy Polish beer - Zywiec, or playing pool in the back.
The food menu never goes higher than 12 bucks, and its excellent pub food. There are a few standards like wings, nachos, and chicken fingers. However, the crispy chicken sandwich, schnitzel sandwich, and the perogies take the simplistic-written menu to a different dimension. Please look out for a Special that they offer once in a while - Fried chicken on top of baked gooey macaroni and cheese on top of swiss chard. Amazing, and how much? 12 bucks. enough said.

Best Greasy Spoon - Ari's

I know my blog states that I only write about beers, bars, and bartenders, but if I am going to talk about Roncesvalles, then I have to mention Ari's. Without doubt, the best greasy spoon on the strip, and possibly in Toronto. It has a truck-stop/cottage feel along with staff that are older, and naturally very witty. Ari's has a bar licence, which is always a thumbs up. The menu is massive from breakfasts to souvlaki to corned beef sandwiches to steaks. I try to switch it up when I go, but when hungover an old-fashioned, no frill - Grilled Cheese and fries is the money. Most of the menu is under $10, and you pay at the door with the cooks. Please note: There are 2 Ari's on Roncy (i believe a family dispute seperated them). Please make sure you go to the Original Ari's, which is more south.

Best Bartender - Jay

Roncy has some good lasting bartenders throughout the bars such as Aggi from Inter Steer (always in a happy mood), and the recently left Jasmine from Loons (always a good chat). However, I think Jay at The Local is the best on Roncy. A chatty, speedy bartender who holds his bar well. Always a good laugh, and knows his beers, as well as the area.

Best Patio - Loons

Roncesvalles is not the greatest street in Toronto for patios. Its an old-fashioned street with generally small sidewalks, and alot of road and foot traffic. Therefore, the best patios are usually hidden away at the back of the bar. The local's patio is small and cozy. Inter Steer's patio is ok. But the King of Patios on Roncy is Loons. In the winter, Loons hosts a small loyal group of regulars. I consider myself to be a once-a-week regular usually. Its a good neighbourhood hole-in-the-wall in the winter. However in the summer, the back of the bar opens out on to a huge deck that spans probably double the size of the bar. Now - Its nothing special to be honest. Its a little dirty, and backyard-style, but it can have a great atmosphere when full and busy in the summertime. The staff are great and attentive at Loons, and the wings are half-price on tuesdays. Recommended.

Best Live Music - The Local

Gate 403 is a popular Jazz bar located just south of Howard Park on Roncesvalles and hosts some great live acts twice a day. I usually head down there once every 3-4 weeks. But for me, The Local is more my cup of tea. It hosts live music 5-7 days a week, it's always good and worthwhile. The stage position is good for most seats to watch in the bar. I always prefer a bar stool over a table seat, but thats just me. The music style ranges from bluegrass to folk to rock, so always an uppity rhythm.


More Best of to come.....

Slainte

1 comment:

  1. YOUR OBSERVATION'S ARE SPOT ON CONOR.SO MANY GREAT SPOT'S AROUND RONCEY,,,,YOU NAILED THEM PRETTY GOOD.
    LOOKIN FORWARD TO HAVING A PINT WITH YOU SOME DAY.

    KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK,,,IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

    REGARDS,,,,,

    PETER

    ReplyDelete