Friday, September 24, 2010

Beau's Lug-Tread Lagered Ale


Beau's Lug-Tread Lagered Ale
Vankleek Hill, Ontario.
5.2% Alc
$15.60 4-pk of 600ml bottles

I was recently requested to rate Beau's Lug-Tread Lagered Ale, and I managed to find it in stock at the King and Spadina LCBO. Beau's is an Ontario brewery located very close to the border of Quebec at Vankleek Hill. Beau's brew over 8 different beers most of them being seasonal, however they claim the Lug-Tread to be their flagship beer. It recently won `Best Beer in Ontario` at the 2010 Golden Tap Awards, so with that being said I was very interested in giving it a sip or two.

The bottle itself is very old-school and almost looks like they are using old pop bottles from the `1970`s. Big and bold is what I mean, resembling more a wine bottle, than a conventional beer bottle. The branding is quite in your face - ALL-NATURAL, ORGANIC. Wow! It resembled a box of Muesli. The beer has a rich golden colour, however I found it to pour with little or no head, and quite flat - which was disappointing. Perhaps I need to try a pint of draught somewhere to fully evaluate the head. According to Beau`s, the Lug-Tread is a `tribute to the classic beer of Cologne, Germany.` I am a big fan of Cologne, having travelled and camped there in 2003, so this really intrigued me. I had no idea what a classic beer of Cologne meant. So after looking it up I found that Cologne`s local beer is called Kölsch. This means the brew is top fermented at a warm temperature (like an ale), and then cold aged (like a lager). Although I was disappointed with the appearance (flat) of the Lug-Tread, I was quite impressed with the flavour. It is hoppier than a typical golden lager or ale, and very crisp.

Overall -

Beau`s Lug-Tread Lagered Ale was certainly interesting - almost disguised. It appeared to be a flat, generic looking lager, but it tasted of rich hops, with a crisp bitterness. It would not be my first choice to buy, but I am really excited to see that Ontario breweries such as Beau`s are growing in creativity, and choice. GO ONTARIO!
3 out of 5


Slainte




No comments:

Post a Comment